Here is a basic difference of any closed source CRM (Bitrix, MS Dynamics, ZOHO CRM, Suger CRM etc) & Open source CRM (e.g. Odoo, Orange etc)
Open Source CRM
- There will be no licensing terms and you will own the system.
- You’ll have to rent/own infrastructure and yourself will be responsible to manage it.
- You have full rights to customize it as you will have the source code.
- You can establish your own business process on rather than accepting already established process of some software.
- TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) might be more than hosted ones. It might have bit more operational cost.
- Export the data and migrate to some other software will be easy as you own that software.
- Data privacy and confidentiality will be maintained.
- You will have built in website already connected with CRM/backend (Tight coupling)
- Extensibility of having accounting, sales, purchase, payroll, inventory on a single click installation without any extra cost.
Hosted CRM (Closed Source)
- No/little setup cost
- You don’t need to worry about infrastructure and maintenance.
- You will not own the software and will need to accept the licensing terms.
- Very small customization might be allowed.
- You will need to adopt the business process (workflow) of that software.
- Migration to other software in future might be difficult.
- No TCO (Total cost of ownership) as you will not own the software.
- You will need to write/develop middleware interface to connect with any website (Loose coupling)